2/26/08

I like comics; comics are good.

Hi.

If I wasn't already taking on the man in my presentation/paper, I'd seriously be considering using one or both of these blogs as objects for rhetorical analysis. Even if you already have your future plans figured out in this class, you might at least get a laugh out of them.

We'll probably talk next week about the semantics and differences between sampling, remixing, et cetera, so maybe then you can help me figure out how to best describe these things:

Marmaduke Explained [in 500 words or less]

Marmaduke Explained is pretty much like it sounds. The author, Joe Mathlete, offers pithy explanations for the comic semi-regularly. The latest one is really great.


Garfield Minus Garfield


"Who would have guessed that when you remove Garfield from the Garfield comic strips, the result is an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life?" [so say the site's creator--not necessarily the opinion of your humble poster]



Here we have two blogs devoted to comics that necessarily depend on the use of copyrighted material. In the first case, the author is adding to the original content by way of paraphrasing text or otherwise describing images. In the second, the author is merely removing an element [arguably the "heart" of the piece] to make something new. In my view, these are both creative and original in a sense, yet it is pretty much assured that they are using material without permission of the author/copyright holder.

FYI, be careful about passing on M.E. to the kids, please. They can get a bit naughty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm slightly partial to The Nietzsche Family Circus.

Yeah. In this case, the author isn't even adding any content to the originals, but rather mixing them, randomly, in fact, with a PHP script.

While I'm not sure if Mr. Nietzsche would care any more (though, if he were alive and sane, he might), the comic's author probably doesn't approve of the turn this comic will take. Sometimes the captions are not exactly something childish and fun.

What's most interesting here is the randomness. I agree, there's something new here.

Is the programmer the author, then, of these comics? Or is it something else?

Oh no! I'm heading off to "Can a computer write poetry" land. I'll stop before we get there.

I dare you not to hit refresh over and over again. I like this one, personally.

"Not me," said Jeffy.