2/13/08

Web 3.0?

What separates Web 3.0 from 2.0?

Well here are a few thoughts. I can’t get as into the tech stuff a la O’Reilly so I am not touching BitTorrent (whatever that is).





Web 1.0Web 2.0Web 3.0
Ofoto ->Flickr ->incorporated into Facebook page!
mp3.com ->Napster ->iTunes, YouTube
personal websites ->blogging ->Facebook or MySpace
stickiness->syndication->synergy (?)


1. Conglomeration. Everything interconnected. It’s not so much about a blog and a photo site and etc. It’s about one site that holds all your stuff.

2. Standard bearer? Facebook et al. (Primarily Facebook though.) Forget Netscape and Google. The interactive personalizable sites are the future with all their apps. (If “apps” is the term I want for “applications.”

O’Reilly wrote this in 2005? For the tech industry, that’s approximately equivalent to twenty years of politics.

Click here for a video on Facebook vs. MySpace spoofing the Mac vs. PC ads.

Eric Schmidt: "But if I were to guess what Web 3.0 is, I would tell you that it's a different way of building applications... My prediction would be that Web 3.0 will ultimately be seen as applications which are pieced together. There are a number of characteristics: the applications are relatively small, the data is in the cloud, the applications can run on any device, PC or mobile phone, the applications are very fast and they're very customizable. Furthermore, the applications are distributed virally: literally by social networks, by email. You won't go to the store and purchase them... That's a very different application model than we've ever seen in computing." (May 2007)

2 comments:

Benson said...

What about iGoogle or Netvibes? They're modular, and I think you can add all the social networking content if you like.

Facebook had a nice UI, but the applications have ruined that site for me. Plus, it's not as customizable.

I say forget Web 3.0

I'm thinking Life 2.0 = Googlezon

N. Nyl said...

Ehrengard--Web 3.0? Wow! I had not thought of it like that. Your grid does show that we've come a long way a long way since O'Reilly's writing.

JB--I clicked on the Googlezon link and was amazed to learn about this concept.

I watch the "Epic 2015" video clip (http://epic.makingithappen.co.uk/) and realized that I am unaware of how much is really out there in terms of Web 2.0, 3.0, or "Life 2.0."

Is it possible that in the very near future, each of us will have personalized cyberunits of our choice and live (or access) life mostly through wired or wireless means?

We're somewhat there with iPhone and Blackberrys, but we are in no way (I think) close to the EPIC (Evolving Personalized Information Construct). Are we?