4/8/08

Open Source Licenses

During discussion about open sourcing, some questions regarding licenses and whether or not they effected the saved/produced work (e.g., does some coder own your text, or do you have to give it away, if it's created in their program). I guess I would call these "Resultant Works," unless someone has a better name for them.
  1. The short answer is I didn't think so, but some people are more into the open source thing than others. I am not a lawyer.
  2. The slightly longer short answer is: "No" for most programs that use the GPL (the most common) license. Here is a direct answer from the Free Software Foundation, regarding their GPL license. Here's a documentation license from the same group, since we're not programmers.
  3. The long answer is: here is a short list of licenses that can be used. Remember, these are primarily related to code.
More stringent examples and practices exist, such as Debian GNU/Linux free software guidelines. This distribution of Linux is what I have used in the past. It still runs my old iBook, when the power supply works right, that is.

Anyway...

No comments: