4/12/08

Parody vs. Plagiarism

I know that parodic material is not in danger of copyright infringement, but today, for some reason, I'm bothered by this. Maybe bothered is too strong. Puzzled may be the right word. Here's how I see it.

Those who use copyrighted material to poke fun at others and draw attention to negative publicity do not need permission to use the material and are not in danger of the "copyright police." In contrast, those who use copyrighted material to edify others and create derivative works that are shared freely with society may find themselves in legal battles surrounding copyright laws if they did not get permission or pay for the right to use the material.

Have I missed something? If so, please help me understand.

If what I said above is essentially right, then isn't something terribly wrong?

No comments: