4/16/08

Rowling and Copyright

Interesting bit about Rowling getting upset about a Harry Potter encyclopedia. Couple of questions: are reference works on books not in the public domain usually allowed? Why is this becoming an issue now when the work is going to print and not over the last few years when the site has been online? Could Rowling be jealous that someone else got to the project before she did (Rowling has admitted before that she plans to publish a Harry Potter encyclopedia)?

On a personal note: as I've been working on a large Harry Potter project, I have frequently used the Harry Potter Lexicon as a reference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Orson Scott Card wrote this post called J.K. Rowling, Lexicon and Oz about Rowling's efforts to sue the makers of the Harry Potter Lexicon.

"Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling."

I can't say I disagree...